"Like" me and I will like you

Sunday, June 26, 2011

America, the environment, and student life

I recently saw that the Republican led New York Senate approved a gay-marriage bill. Floods of memories came back of John McCain’s daughter telling the party that they should support gay marriage, and maybe they listened. All the irony lays in the fact that it happened in New York. When I think of New York some images comes to mind, I see a green street sign that says “wall street” and I imagine all of the trading that is so iconic of business and the clichĂ©, down to the letter Republicans. So, to all you confederate flag flying repubs, who rallied around Richard Nixon during Roe v. Wade you can now take off the mantle (because your party just threw it out the window) of being the religious party of America. Yup, the holy elephant that used to be adorned with golden crosses can now be replaced with a hairy man in a tank top waving a rainbow flag in support of gay rights. I guess you got one sound bite of your typical speech right; anything IS possible in America. Who would have thought that the “Religious Party” of America would make same sex marriage legal in the biggest state to date to do so. But hey they are the party of Reagan and Lincoln so who cares.

Now that I have talked about how the reds have become a bit more blue I want to talk about my other favorite color. Green. You wanna know why I like green? Of course you do because your reading MY blog. I like green because it’s the color of money. The more green I have means I can buy more luxurious life style toys that I don’t need. The more green I have means I can drive a better functioning car and not live in Detroit; a city Lucifer himself would avoid. Now I am going to tell you why there is a part of me that hates green. It seems to me that “going green” has become the new marketing strategy for many businesses. To me the slogan screams out, “We make a super crappy product but we didn’t use any trees to do it” Well folks, if you love greens as much as I do you would agree that it is stupid to waste precious dollars (ok so they aren’t that precious anymore) buying crappy products just because they have “gone green”. Did you know there are plates and cups made out of a corn based material that is bio degradable? That means for me to eat in an “eco-friendly” manner I have to increase corn consumption. I bet lots of hungry children would love some hot corn and I doubt they would care if its on a paper plate. These days they are eating paper but have corn plates, call me old fashioned but I prefer eating corn and having paper plates. The saddest part about all of this is that it is not subliminal at all. Businesses are telling us what their after in their slogans and then sell the slogan right back to us to make us feel like we are helping the earth. Pirates!

You wanna know a sucky college student activity? Eating frozen yogurt. I promise it does not help you lose weight. If you want to lose your belly eat an apple, not cake batter frozen yogurt with reses on top. Just a pointer. The other day I heard some people talking about how wonderful and miraculous frozen yogurt was. Really kids? Of all the miraculous things to talk about you chose yogurt? Let’s just veto men on the moon, modern medicine, the human body, rock n roll, literature, animals, and replace those wonderful conversations with talks about synthetic ice cream. Two thumbs up frozen yogurt fanatics!

Well that’s about it for today.

Yours untruly, cause I am my own

Ben Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment