"Like" me and I will like you

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reality is sexist.


Due to my burning ambition for higher education I am registered and enrolled in college. Yesterday I went down for an orientation to get to know my university and learn about its procedures. Now, the best part about college in general is its dedication to equality. The government has set up wonderful things likes Title IX to prevent inequality based on gender. Now, I obviously am a huge fan of this program that deprives colleges thousands of dollars of income and robs students of opportunities at the nation’s universities. But gender equality is that important, important enough to close down athletic programs, restrict scholarships, and take away student involvement opportunities. That is why I was appalled when reality openly denied this wonderful undermining title. Let me explain.  At the conclusion of this orientation they did a drawing for a book scholarship. The scholarship would cover the cost of books for the students who won. They did the drawing and the winners consisted of one male and three females. It is bogus that a drawing, entirely dictated by chance, could produce such sex based results when the participants were split equally. I was shocked that mere chance would openly defy American laws. We should put chance behind bars. If American colleges and universities are subject to gender equality rules, chance and reality should be as well. While we are talking about reality lets mention another reality. Texas men’s football brought in 59 million dollars of profit to the university in 2010. It was the highest gaining college sports program across the nation.  In order for the top college female sport to equal that you would have to multiply their revenue by a negative number. Yep, of 53 public college women’s basketball teams (the most popular women’s sport) from the six most recognized conferences 100 percent of them lost money.  In total they amassed a 110 million dollar loss. Now, I have not taken college math but if I remember correctly, here is a decent equation to look at:

+money > -money

I know its mind blowing right. That a profit is greater than a loss. So across the nation we have a bunch of universities; The supposed hub of intellectual thinking, and they are scratching their heads still trying to figure out if Title IX is a good idea.  I just don’t get it, these guys can understand Einstein and Stephen Hawking but they do not understand that a positive is greater than a negative. Well, like always I am right. Excuse me while I anxiously wait to watch women’s basketball. Oh wait, no one does that.

Yours untruly, cause I am my own

Ben Williams

1 comment: